Azerbaijan says seven dead in overnight Armenian shelling: Live

Azerbaijan says seven dead in overnight Armenian shelling: Live

At least seven people have been killed in overnight Armenian bombardment in Azerbaijan’s second city of Ganja, the Azeri defence ministry said, less than 24 hours after a ceasefire in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh territory was agreed.

The Russia-brokered truce, put in place after marathon talks in Moscow between both sides, was meant to halt fighting to allow ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azeri forces to swap prisoners and war dead.

But the two sides accused each other of violating the terms of the truce merely minutes after it came into effect.

Armenia’s defence ministry accused Azerbaijan of shelling a settlement inside Armenia, while ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh alleged that Azerbaijan’s forces had launched a new offensive.

Both sides have consistently denied each other’s assertions about military activity.

Here are the latest updates:

Sunday, October 11th 06:30 GMT – Armenian shelling leaves seven dead: Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan said on Sunday that shelling by Armenian forces on the country’s second-largest city had left seven people dead, a day after a ceasefire between the two sides had been due to take effect.

A “new nightly missile attack by Armenian forces on (a) residential area of Ganja,” left seven dead and 33 wounded including children, Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

The defence ministry in the breakaway region said Armenian forces were respecting the ceasefire and in turn accused Azerbaijan of shelling civilian areas.

Reports of “Karabakh forces shelling Ganja is an absolute lie”, it added.